Your body is in a constant state of renewal. The body you have at this moment is not the same body you had 5 years ago, 5 months ago, or even 5 days ago. Every cell in your body is in the process of dying and being replaced by new cells. This process continues throughout your lifetime, with different body cells being renewed and replaced at different rates.
If this is true, why do you have the same back problem, heart problem, or relationship pattern throughout much of your life? The answer lies within the nervous system. As opposed to the rest of the cells in your body the nerve cells do not regenerate. It’s the nervous system that coordinates the consciousness of all body parts, systems, functions, and patterns.
Below is an exercise you can use to start working with your nervous system to shift old body-mind patterns and begin living a life beyond anything you thought possible.
How to Shift your Old Patterns
1. Recognize the Pattern:
- Focus on one specific pattern you want to shift. Usually, the one that’s the most consistent or obvious is a good place to start.
- Particular Strategy regarding eating, exercising, learning, communicating, expressing, experiencing, parenting, etc.
- Job or Company you’ve chosen
- Business or Project you’ve started
2. Take Inventory of your Subconscious:
Ask yourself why you chose this particular pattern…
- Desperation - consistently waiting until you’re desperate to make a change or seek help?
- FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) - Fear of missing out on an opportunity? Do you overextend yourself and your commitments to avoid FOMO?
- How others will perceive you. Are you doing certain things to uphold an image or reputation? Are you doing things in an attempt to please others or to be liked?
- Prove yourself. Do you have certain strategies that you implement to prove yourself to your parents, spouse, friends, social media?
- Safety. Did you establish a pattern to secure comfort or predictability?
- Blind trust. Did you just act on the trust of someone else without consulting or researching your own needs and desires?
- Emotional. Did you establish a strategy or pattern when experiencing heightened emotions?
- Illogical Optimism. When something is exciting to you do you make quick decisions that may not be fully thought out?
- Lone wolf. Do you struggle to ask for help? Do you avoid perspective or input from others? If you asked for help. Would that have shifted the outcome?
- Fear of Failure. Are you concerned about admitting failure or experiencing failure? Are you doing things that hide the possibility or admittance of failure from others?
3. Where have these decisions played themselves out in other areas of your life?
4. Are these patterns still playing themselves out?
5. How could you change them right now?
Focus on cultivating a new level of self-awareness this year and reclaim control over your life by identifying what is causing these ineffective patterns. Remember this is your own journey of discovery and self-improvement, there is no “I’ve made it” moment. You have to be willing to put in the work. A major thing done once makes little impact, the little things that are done repeatedly make a major change. Doing the little things repeatedly gives you an edge, and that edge added up over time starts to create momentum in your health, your well-being, and your life.
At Beyond Chiropractic we are a team of doctors committed to helping you achieve optimal health, well-being, and a life beyond anything you thought possible.